We decided to do a two person, side by side seating. Good for a driver and a fun partner next to you !
A shaft drive approach would prove that routing and gearboxes were feasible. Since electric was not viable when the concept started, we decided to use a gas engine. Electric will be for our next model ;>)
Completed by Alex in AutoCAD, the 3D model was a first pass at the mechanical arrangement. A 3D 'Printed' model was produced.
To do more details, we needed to obtain the exact engine to be used. But where to find something we could afford ? A Honda Civic SI engine from a salvage vehicle became our donor. But we did need to get it running before pulling it out.
Engine removal required tracing and tagging of related of the electrical and mechanical components.
Four right angle gear boxes were required. Unfortunately, for this concept build, we could not afford to have anything made, so we sourced some spiral bevel 1:1 gears with roller bearings. Chunkier and heavier than production would be, but good and solid for our concept.
This picture show the basic arrangement of the reverse trike wheels, seats, engine, gearboxes, driveshafts, and gas tank. With engine and gearboxes selected, weight calculations and arrangement details are finalized.
Would there be enough room ? What would the seats feel like ? First framing sets seat and front wheels.
Front gearboxes and steering rack is set in framing.
Front/Rear/Side strengthening of core around gearboxes, steering rack, and anti-roll bar.
Set location of rear gearboxes and engine. This finalizes shaft lengths, angles, and weighting.
Rear framing begins. Gas tank, swing arm must be accommodated.
Rear Gearbox mounts , Engine Mounts, swing arm mounts fabricated
Rear Swing Arm is fabricated
450 lb motor and accessory weight testing.
Trunk space for Lawn Chairs and Cooler check. Must have for a fun vehicle !
Note location setting for air suspension compressors and tank.
Six driveshafts (3 each side), with CV joints to accommodate motor vibration damping and wheel travel. In production, these would be shorter/longer versions of what is in your car today.
Exhaust with stainless mesh sections for vibration damping, muffler, and Cat to keep clean air :>)
Last picture of open framing with major components. Sheet metal to complete drivers cabin begins.
Dragonfly stands on it's own wheels for the first time, and takes a peek outside.
Front Bumper set, and front framing locations begin. Air suspension installed. Raw chassis will be complete once front framing is finished.
With raw chassis complete, major components are removed, and chassis is flipped for bottom work. Once completed, frame will be painted and sealed on bottom before returning upright.
Bottom of chassis is completed, and flipped upright. Major components will begin final install. Here, engine goes in for final install.
A fan suggests appearing at car show. Idea of showing chassis is interesting to many. Decision made, chassis components are installed and prepped for show. With only 4 weeks to complete, feels like TV show build.
2017 Car show. Lots of interest and great people. Thanks to everyone who talked to us, and all the positive energy and comments.
After listening to the fans, we decided to alter the body style slightly, and create dual intakes with roll bars, instead of the original F1 style intake.
Exhaust system coatings require heat treatment. Grill is re-purposed.
With exhaust finalized, new radiators and sizing can be determined. Note that pivoting steering is in place
Lots of fun creating different body styles, headlight locations, and windshield sizes. Many options, some really crazy.
Wood templates give a real life feel to body. Sheet metal fabrication begins.
Front Fenders and Rear Panels sheet metal starts. Rear panel electric opener is tested- very cool.
Front canopy is framed out. Requires motion diagrams to articulating movement. Sets windshield sizes and rear pins.
Friend's 1987 Electric Porsche conversion. Next Dragonfly version will be electric example. Starting sketches now anticipating the future :>)
One of two series based linear linear actuators for Canopy lift. Wireless and control unit show on inset.
Routing of Air Intake to Side Air Scoop (note CSF Radiator in wheel well)
Quick cardboard verification that rear canopy will open/close
Lamborghini Lee voices approval. Front canopy lifts and controls are in place (silver pieces). With basic mechanicals complete, front sheet metal can begin.
Sheet metal for front end starts coming together. Starting to look like a real three wheel car !
Thanks to sponsorships from CSF Cooling! Side radiators, small size, performance cooling... who can meet our specialized needs ? Well, meet CSF Racing and High Performance. CSF Radiators | Ultimate Performance Cooling (csfrace.com) They had THE goods, and were generous enough to support our efforts. We are using two CSF All-Aluminum High Performance King Cooler (#7065), one on each side. Very nice!
When we made the first Dragonfly design, we needed to select an air system for design detailing. Unfortunately, that was many years ago and the old K-Sport control system had no ride height control and was slowly failing. Searching for a replacement that could support our radical needs, AIR LIFT has graciously agreed to help sponsor our endeavors. Their new systems are really slick. Check out AIRLIFT at https://www.airliftperformance.com/ . More to come as we set up the system.
The dash and gauges are all custom, so we needed a system that could be easily adapted to these needs. Intellitronix has a complete line that can adjusted to pretty much anything. We are looking forward to designing the dash with Intellitronix guages (link: Intellitronix Gauges ). The Multi-Gauge LED Bargraph Set – B9999 - will be used, along with the GPS sender . Looking forward to it !
Copyright © 2021 Dragonfly Three Wheeler - All Rights Reserved.